3 Reasons Why Manipulative Behavior Persists
Signs Of Manipulative Behavior: How To Tell If Someone Is Trying To Manipulate You
A person can use manipulation either deliberately or unconsciously. As manipulation is a human tendency, everyone is guilty of engaging in it at some point.
So, how can you identify manipulative behaviour? Let’s find out some of the obvious signs of manipulation:
- Someone taking advantage of your vulnerabilities for their personal benefit
- Influencing someone to disregard important persons in their lives to lure the person into a co-dependent relationship.
- Concealing the truths, making false accusations and criticizing you without accepting responsibility for their behaviour.
- Someone who continuously criticizes or makes fun of you, whether in public or privately. They purposely make you feel insecure
- When any confrontation occurs, they use gaslighting
- Behave in a passive-aggressive way rather than showing their concerns
In short, people who use manipulation techniques, usually lack healthy boundaries and have a hard time expressing their needs. This is why they employ manipulation strategies to deceive the other person into giving up control.
3 Causes of Manipulative Behavior
There are three main reasons why some people engage in constant manipulation. For instance,
i) Early experience from family
If someone has manipulative family members while growing up it might have a big impact on their survival mechanism. Especially, if the person grew up in a dysfunctional household, they naturally learn to interact with others adversely.
Also, they may learn toxic communication behaviours and patterns if they struggled for power, control, love, or other perceived advantages in their household.
ii) Mental Illness
People with attachment problems and mental health illnesses like borderline personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder are most likely to engage in continuous…